Friday, October 9, 2009

Powerless

It is 5:25 in the morning and the power is still out. This post comes to you from my phone, it is small and fun to type on. Go Thumbs!

All entrances and exits to Simi Valley are closed. The beauty of living in a true valley is that it is very easy to isolate it. Simi Valley can very effectively be closed by doing nothing more then blocking the freeways and the three roads that go in and out of it. The only other way in is via railroad and after yesterdays massive crash, that is one more exit sealed. Around 5:30 PM I tried to leave, but found every turn blocked. The Freeway has been closed, but until now the Santa Susana Pass had been left as an exit, but I guess because of the train crash that's now closed. I drove around for 3 hours last night trying to leave, me and tons of other hangers on. It use to be you couldn't go more then a block without seeing a cop but now it almost feels like I live in a ghost town.

The roadblocks are unmanned, just those giant concrete center dividers and barrels of water between me and freedom. I could walk out of Simi if I wanted too, and if the fire gets much worse that might be what I end up doing. The smoke isn't as bad as it was two days ago the wind seems like its shifted blowing the fire back at itself, but without any real news this is all just speculation on my part. I met an older guy Ryan and his wife Helen last night who were leaving, they told me that the train crash happened because the two trains were both running unscheduled "secret" routes. The news said it was a freight train and MetroLink, Ryan says a guy he knows "who is in the KNOW" confirmed it was a freight train and a metrolink, but the metrolink was carrying government agents, and that the freight train had illicit cargo that needed to be rushed out of the city without drawing any attention. Ryan and Helen were leaving on foot, they up and left their car and all their worldly belongings based on what Ryans friend told them. This all sounds like hyper paranoia to me. Who knows what the context of the conversation really was, if this guys friend is pathological liar, or maybe it could be that Ryan is miscommunicating the message. Should I loose my cool, and panic based on a possible bad game of telephone? It all seems implausible and convenient, but I for some reason I keep thinking about the guys in the Yellow suits, the sudden fire, and now this train crash, it doesn't add up. If all incoming traffic both automobile and train were suspended, why would a metrolink be attempting to enter Simi Valley? Simi Valley doesn't have a train cargo loading station so how was that freight train loaded and how did it get into Simi if it was loaded elsewhere?

Fear can do wonders for anybody's imagination, wrap that up with stress and insufficient sleep and you have a recipe for paranoid over-reaction. Cooler heads prevail, I just need to stay calm and see what the day brings me. A little more sleep would also be nice. I have to sign off, I don't want to kill the battery on this phone who knows when I will need it again, maybe my parents will call or one of my many friends!!!

Tranquilnow@gmail.com
~Johnny~
Here we go round the Mulberry Bush